Saturday, April 23, 2011

Couponing for Community

Kaley over at ChaChing on a Shoestring is once again organizing the amazing Couponing for Community drive. To coincide with National Stamp Out Hunger Day on May 14, couponers across the country are invited to make donations to their local shelter, food bank, pantry, or other worthy cause during the week of May 8-14, 2011. The goal is to have couponers donate 10,000 items.

I think this is freaking brilliant and I am super excited. Last year I participated on my own, but this year I am signing up the blog on the Couponing for Community Facebook page and inviting my readers to join in as well. Here's the plan:
  1. Start setting aside donations now. Non-perishable food, household items like TP, and personal care items like toothpaste and shampoo are all in huge demand. Any and all of these items can be gotten free or very, very cheap from grocery and drug stores! So as you're doing your own weekly shopping, keep your eyes open for good deals.
  2. Spread the word! If you have your own blog, please consider linking to ChaChing's post. (or back here!) On Facebook, "like" the Couponing for Community page.
  3. During the week of May 8-14, make a list of what you've put together (if you can remember it, maybe include what coupons you used and where you got them, just for curiousity's sake). You can also take a photo of your donation.
  4. Post your list and/or photo to the Facebook page, and consider telling them you learned about the event through this blog! (I'm not above drumming up a little blog traffic while I'm at it, I admit.)
  5. If you'd like to be featured on this blog, please also email me your list/photo at notacrazycouponer@gmail.com. I will be making a series of posts that week detailing what my readers have donated.
  6. Finally, of course, make sure you find somewhere to bring your items. If you only have a bag or two, you can leave them by your mailbox on May 14th for your mail carrier to pick up as part of the Stamp Out Hunger drive. I know a lot of grocery stores in my area have set up drop-off boxes as well, which is super convenient. I'll probably bring mine straight to the Tri-Town Food Pantry - I've been saving up for a while now and I don't want my mail carrier to hate me forever. :-)
Please leave a comment on this post if you think you can participate. Let's do this thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment