Saturday, April 30, 2011

Suck it Martha Saturday: Shortbread edition

I am testing the mobile blogger function, so I hope this post formats OK!
This week's Suck It Martha recipe harkens back to last weekend. Last Sunday, of course, was Easter. Rather than handing out yet more chocolate, I decided to make shortbread cookies for my inlaws.
Shortbread is another baked good that is utterly uninspiring to look at, but that tastes freaking amazing. And it is so ridiculously easy to make, you literally do not need a recipe. Here's how it works: Cream together 1 part sugar and 2 parts butter. Mix in 4 parts flour. (ie for every cup of sugar, use 2 cups of butter and 4 of flour.) Form into cookies of any shape, about 1/2 inch thick. Bake at standard temp - 350F - until golden brown and delicious, which will be about 15-25 minutes depending on size.
I love these cookies for so many reasons. First, delicious. Second, 3 ingredients that I always have on hand. Third, using proportions instead of measurements means it's easy to scale to however much I want to make. I can make myself a snack, or I can make a giant batch of Christmas cookies. Fourth, if I have any extract on hand they are easy to flavor - I like vanilla, almond, and lemon shortbread. Fifth, um, delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment